At the beginning of Feb 2010, Carson had a really bad cough. Well, coughs and runny noses seem to happen all the time with kids and you just think they will go away since doctors don't really do much about them anymore either. We had a scary day with Carson when his temperature suddenly spiked to 107 degrees...very dangerous. He just wasn't feeling well and started the morning off with a slight fever and just wanted me to hold him a lot. Finally around lunch time I had given him some Motrin and saw his fever was 103 and thought I would put him down for a nap as the Motrin kicked in and then he would sleep comfortably and get the rest he needed in order to get better.
I put him down for a nap in my bed and watched him carefully. I noticed that his breathing became labored and shallow and his face was getting so red. I took his temperature with the temporal artery thermometer that you just swipe across the forehead and it was 106.7. Yikes! I called the dr and they were on their lunch break so I just started put cool cloths all over his body. I then got a warm/cool bath and tried to put him in that. Of course he screamed and probably wondered why I would wake him up to put him in a cool bath.
I eventually got in touch with the doctors and they said I had to get his temp down to 103 before bringing him in. They told me to give him another dose of Motrin even though it would overlap with the other dose I had given him. Well, that was the trick. It took about an hour but his temp got down to 102.6 and I took him in. The dr. was worried, as was I and he gave him a big bad antibiotic shot in his leg to get him feeling better. We also had to go to get an xray taken, which ended up showing that he had pneumonia.
As soon as Geoff got home from work, our home teacher came over and they gave Carson a blessing. At that point he was still running a fever but after the blessing he didn't ever have a fever again. His body cooled down and late that night I was able to pick up his prescription and get him started on the antibiotics and the next day he was as good as new. You never would have known the kid looked like death the day before. I was very grateful for the priesthood, for the medicine and for the dr. seeing him quickly. And I am very very grateful that we usually have very healthy kids that don't give us a scare like that too often.
No comments:
Post a Comment