Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Kolby Rides a Bike



We had a little miracle this week. We went for a family bike ride last Wed night and passed by some friends who were teaching their 5 year old son how to ride a bike. When we got back from our bike ride, Kolby said that if Luke could ride a bike without training wheels then he could too. So we got the other bike out of the garage that doesn't have training wheels on it and he climbed on it and I gave him a push and he totally just took off down the street with no fear. Within 5 minutes he was starting and stopping all by himself and was riding his bike like a pro. My 4 year old grew up so fast in that moment because he gave him such a sense of freedom. Since then, all he wants to do is ride his bike everywhere and wants me of course to be in the front to watch him. He loves to go over little jumps/piles of dirt and definitely maneuvers the bike very well. We're not so good at looking before crossing the street and I sure hope he doesn't have to learn that the hard way. I felt like I had a teenager already when he was coming in and out of the house beet red in the face and dripping with sweat and sometimes blood--he'd ask for a band-aid the first time, then a glass of water cuz he was so thirsty, then a pear cuz he was so hungry. He'd just run in and spit out his request, I'd give it to him and then he'd run right back out and ride his bike. don't worry...there was an adult out there watching him. He thinks that he needs to always ride with Luke since they learned to ride on the same day. Yeah for Kolby!

5 comments:

Aly said...

Way to go Kolby! I learned in a similar way, but I was much older than 4. I'm loving catching up on all these new posts.

The Mechlings said...

Wow, I don't check your blog for a few days and look what I miss... the first bike ride, a marathon, and body painting! Never a dull moment, huh? So many great pics but Eliza "the Who" was my favorite!

Kris said...

Congrats to Kolby - that's a huge milestone. I thought I was keeping up with the blogs and then I clicked here this afternoon and see that you've been one busy blogger! ( : I'm loving all the new posts & pics of the Howards.

The Mechlings said...

I forgot to ask ... how in the world do you train your kid to come in and ask for a PEAR and not a lollipop?!?

Whitney said...

Loved all the updates! You guys have certainly been busy! A big congrats to Geoff on his marathon finish! No small feat. Your kids are darling and definitely getting big fast!! Time really does fly...