The day just started off all wrong...have you ever had a day like that? Hopefully I am not the only one. Well, we were planning to go to a sprinkler park with some friends and the kids were so excited about that. I had envisioned that we would go in the a.m. before it got too crowded and too hot and my kids were all excited about it. However, my friend had envisioned that we would go in the afternoon, right during Carson's naptime, when the place would most likely be packed. I was trying to be flexible and agreed that would be fine, but knew I was going to have a fight on my hands. Well, that meant we had time to do our "miracle music" and our school work before we went to the sprinkler park. Eliza was pretty good about doing it, Kolby was rebelling and crying and so I left the room and told him when he calmed down and was ready for me to help him, I would come back. I could hear the kids all bickering at the kitchen table over silly things and then Eliza came and told me that Kolby was breaking all of the crayons in half. Well, that obviously is not ok, so I was coming to remind him of that. Not only was he breaking crayons, but he was sitting on the kitchen table breaking crayons. I hate to admit it but I did slap his hand that he was breaking crayons with and told him he needed to go to his room for a timeout. (Of course by this time Carson was happily breaking crayons too because anything he sees his big brother do he thinks he should do!) As he was getting off the table his foot caught on the kitchen table wooden bench and kicked it over so that it landed perfectly on my big toe. It hurt! Kolby said, "See, that's what you get!" ooohh. I don't think he really was happy about it, though. He later apologized and did cry with me when he saw how much pain i was in. Who would have thought from a broken toe bone???
After 45 minutes of pain and icing my foot, I tried walking on it and couldn't and realized I needed to call Geoff. He came home so quickly, I was impressed. I felt bad he had to come home and take care of his lame wife, but he never made it seem like a problem. He just took care of everyone and took me to urgent care. After being there for 4.5 hours, we did see a bad break in my big toe that possible might have gone into the joint so I have to see a specialist next week. But I left on crutches with my foot in a special boot, toes taped together and an estimated 4-6 weeks for recovery. What a pain! Injuries are so inconvenient. Don't you know I am pregnant, have three kids to take care of and am moving in 2 weeks! Arggghhh! That is how I felt. Well, now it is 2 days later and I am hobbling around and living life in the much slower lane. The day got much better as we picked up a costco pizza for dinner and then headed to Kami's for S'mores around the campfire (see later post).
The day definitely made me feel grateful for such a great husband and a healthy family. After spending the day in urgent care, I can't imagine what it would be like to have to spend a lot of time in doctor's offices. Knock on wood...
Update: Went to the specialist. He started cursing when he saw my x-ray. Said usually you can't do anything for a broken toe, but my little toe bone broke into 3 floating pieces and if they don't put themselves back together in the next 2 weeks, they will need to do surgery and put pins in my toe. I am faithfully wearing a huge, hot 1/2 leg boot to immobilize my foot so that i have the best chance of the bones fusing back together on their own. I'll be back with new x-ray results in 2 weeks.
4 comments:
Aaaaahhhh! You poor thing! I am SO sorry. I wish we lived closer. The kids could come over and you could REST. Hope you are feeling better!!!
I am so sorry about your toe. Call me if you need any help.
Bummer! I forgot you were moving too!! That stinks. I wish I didn't have to work and I could come hang out with you guys. Hope you feel better soon.
It hurts soooo much to break a toe, tried it a couple of yrs ago. Where are you guys moving to?
Post a Comment